Thursday, November 20, 2014

G.A. Aiken brings on the humor and romance with "Light My Fire"

**********Thank you NetGalley for an Advanced Copy of this Title*******
Description:
The trouble with humans is that they're far too sensitive. Forget you put a woman in the local jail for a few months--and she takes it so personally! And yet she is the one trying to assassinate the queen. And now I'm trapped with Elina Shestakova of the Black Bear Riders of the Midnight…gods! That endless name!
But what am I to do? I am Celyn the Charming with direct orders from my queen to protect this unforgiving female.
Even more shocking, this unforgiving female is completely unimpressed by me. How is that even possible? But I know what I want and, for the moment, I want her. And I'm sure that she, like all females, will learn to adore me. How could she not when I am just so damn charming?

Okay, seriously, anyone who has not read this series is absolutely missing out. It is a medieval fantasy series about dragon shapeshifters. Which is great, but the best part of this series is how absolutely hilarious it is. I laugh through all of them! This book was no different.
Elina is sent by her tribe to kill the white dragon queen. She marches straight up to her and says "I was sent to kill you". The dragon queen thinks this is hilarious so instead of killing her, she has Celyn tuck her away in a safe place. Celyn, takes her to the human prison. And everyone promptly forgets about her. For seven months.
A raving mad cult is gaining support throughout the country, so the queen decides she wants Elina to go back to her tribe and negotiate an alliance. She sends Celyn along to protect Elina.  Oh my gosh.. every time Elina calls Celyn "Dolt"  I can't stop laughing. Elina frustrates Celyn to no end. 
Elina has not told Celyn that returning to her tribe when she failed her mission is a death sentence. But Celyn sees what's happening and saves her. They along with Elin's sister run. They meet up with Anwyl's twins and a creepy old dragon lady named Brigit that everyone thought was long dead. 
Elina has lost an eye to the tribe leader, who happens to be her mother.. When Anwyl finds out that Elina's own mother tortured her, she is absolutely livid and the "mad" queen is back... Celyn and Elina unravel a plot to take out the people important to the dragon queen and Anwyl. 
Aiken doesn't know how to write a bad book, I think. They are all really funny, have a good romance, and usually some fighting. Its great! Come one, come all, try this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment