Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Every fantasy I have is found in the Witches of Eileanan.. magic, dragons, handsome gentlemen..

From Amazon.com

In the Celtic land of Eileanan, witches and magic have been outlawed, and those caught for practicing witchcraft are put to death! It is a land ruled by an evil Queen, where sea-dwelling Fairgean stir, and children vanish in the night. But in a valley deep in the mountains, young Isabeau grows to womanhood under the guidance of an elderly witch, and must set out on a quest, carrying the last hopes of the persecuted witches.

These books may be hard to find, they aren't extremely new, but let me tell you this is one of my favorite fantasy series of all time. It is a six book series by Kate Forsyth that I just re-read for the 5th or 6th time.  I really can't explain it except its like a medieval, celtic, earth magic type of series with dragons and weird swamp fairies, and ethereal tree fairies.. I can't explain it all. 

Part of the reason I loved them so much was Isabeau and Iseult.  Separated at birth and raised in two different world, they still end up with a very magical twin connections. Lachlan tends to tick me off, but he went through hell and turned into a great man. I love love love Meghan of the Beasts! She is what every persons imagination brings up of an earth witch.  I wish everyone would go out and request these books so that the publisher would reprint them so that I could purchase them again.

I reread these every couple of years and I always am so sad when they are done, even though Ms Forsyth does a fantastic job wrapping the series up. I laugh, I cry, I sometimes am so angry I want to throw the book. She brings forth so much emotion.

Now there is actually a sub trilogy that takes place a few years after this series.. but I can't say I want to reread those a million times. I love love love the original six though. Please Ms Forsyth, can you push to republish so I can show (hopefully) millions of people what they are missing out on? 

Please read these books, even if you aren't a fantasy reader, these are wonderful books!


No comments:

Post a Comment